Minutes:10 Jun 2015 Board Meeting Agenda

From All Hands Active Wiki
Revision as of 21:15, 15 March 2020 by Daniel (talk | contribs) (Daniel moved page 10 Jun 2015 Board Meeting Agenda to Minutes:10 Jun 2015 Board Meeting Agenda without leaving a redirect)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
  • Meeting attendees: Nate Y., Nick R., Shawn W., Larry W., Esty T., Isaac B., Alec B., Alex W., John H., Donnie J., Mike Z., Daniel D., Greg G., Patrick H., Jacob M., Tyler S.
  • Meeting starts at: 19:11
  • Meeting ends at: 21:00


Board Meeting Protocol

* There must be time for ALL reports to be delivered BEFORE any New Business is conducted.

* Any NEW issues from Member Open time will be added to New Business, addressed and assigned, at the end of the meeting.

* Standing Committee Reports - Individual Updates by Assigned Area in the time allotted.


(15m) Open For All

  • All are worthy, All are welcome.
  • FYI - IF the Board determines action is needed, the item will be added to New Business at the end of the meeting.

Daniel D. - Daniel will be running the Penguicon 2016 Makerspace with John B.. Wants to point out that he anticipates other hackerspaces will be involved with running the makerspace room next year -- he is anticipating roughly 8 hours of use of the room per makerspace.

Greg G. - Would like to discuss a three-strikes policy (New business)

Patrick H. - Brings us a grant opportunity (http://neweconomyinitiative.org/grants/apply/), would like to work on this in part for All Hands Active (also other local maker groups). Is willing to take point on this, do a presentation -- Board OKs!

Donnie J. - Donnie wants to clean up the hallway -- brighter, cleaner! Wants design ideas, will put out an email to the list.

Daniel D. - Wonders if we have google analytics (we don't really), we should resurrect it.

John H. - Brings up the back door propping-open -- suggests purchasing a screen door with a lock so that we don't have people getting in through the alley. The alley gate is sometimes propped open by other business' employees.

(15m) Old Business

Director & Officer Assignments:

  • All Conflict of Interest forms have been signed by new Directors.
  • COI statement received 6/10/15 from Greg Gage (owner BYB)
  • Transition letter delivered to new Board Members along with Member Survey Results

* Reminder: Board Directors starting a new term must submit Board Pledges to Financial Director (confidential) * Previously approved at May Board Meeting

  • Director Assignments: Volunteer = Tyler S., Governance, Ops/Fac. = Nick R., Financial = Larry, Fundraising = Greg G., Outreach/Events - Donnie J.

Proposal to use the above Board assignments: Board votes 4/4 (Tyler S. absent)

  • Treasurer Assigned: Deirdre Devlin
  • Email proposal to restructure to fill all Director Assignments (Nick over Governance - except Membership, Larry over Financial) was rejected by Greg G. via email.
  • Last Board meeting there was a short discussion re. Conflict of Interest (tabled until Greg G. could be present)
  • 4/5 Directors needed to agree on assignments.
  • Emails for Directors? i.e. gagegreg@allhandsactive.org

Donnie J. and Larry W. also want one. Makes more sense to just set up role-based email addresses (governance, etc.) -- Nate Y. will set these up.


Standing Committee Reports

(15 min) Financial - from Larry W./Deirdre D.

  • May 2015 P&L - [1] Check out the cool charts!
  • We remain in a strong financial position. Charts a bit hard to read but the important point to make is that in 2015 there has been only POSITIVE cash flow even when iQGuys unexpected final payment (4 months) is considered. That's because we made so much at Penguicon this year.
  • Emergency fund (3mo expenses) has been restored! ~$6800 (fyi $1560 from BYB Intern Memberships prepaid)
  • IRS 990 has been received by the US Govt. Thanks Zach!
  • Deirdre has some suggestions re. how she'd like to do AHA accounting:

Go back to QuickBooks

Double-entry accounting

(15 min) Fundraising - Greg G.

As an aside, Greg suggests every Board member puts together a monthly report (document) to really think about what was accomplished in the last month. Prior to the Board meeting.

Recommendations:

  1. Start using .org for everything we do! Website allhandsactive.org currently goes only to wiki. Emails should be from allhandsactive.org, as should signage/cards.
  2. Collect 1-page CVs of every board member.
  3. Move our finances to an online double entry accounting system. Xero or QB Online. Easy transparent access to members, directors and accountants/auditors.
  4. We need a strategic plan! AHA Board (or a committee) should revisit our mission, and derive goals that show that we are focused on our mission. New programs will be developed and proposed that will meet and extend these goals.
  5. Talk to AAACF about how to build an external board of directors for AHA with expertise in leading 501.3c’s. AHA directors could report to this board.

Discussion seemed to support first 4 items. All recommendations moved to New Business.

Note: Domain registered, aliases set up in Google Apps, still need to move the website/flip the switch to redirect site from .com to .org (Nate Y.)

Greg suggests we have a marketing position for monthly email blasts, promoting the AHA brand.

Greg thinks we should focus differently on how we use volunteers/remove the front desk. Agreements on removing the front desk -- is a waste of space. Greg would like to discuss how we can get volunteers more in-line with our mission statement.

John H. mentions that we try to educate volunteers about the various resources offered by AHA. Also points out that volunteers are there to keep things safe and secure.

  • NEW Fundraising Workshop - Meet The Funders held on May 30th - Larry W. attended

Larry points out a checklist from NEW that lists milestones for Non-Profits.

Larry shares his notes from the Meet the Funders Workshop.

Greg updates us on the Neuroscience Makerspace grant, and it has been read by the grant committee. Will receive a grant score soon.

(15 min) Governance - Larry W.

  • Monthly Membership Update - TEMPORARY BOARD REPORTS
  • 59 members this month (includes 8 BYB interns) - Lost 2
  • Membership Tab on the website has been updated to match new forms
  • Orange Staff Book created for quick reference (to respect members' privacy)
  • Recurring payments links for AMF and BYB created (AMF using, BYB not yet)
  • Business Cards - TEMPORARY BOARD REPORTS

Larry displays his ideas for business cards. Suggestions removing the QR code, use bigger font, use a white background with black text so it's easy to write on it.

Operations & Facilities - Nick R.

Monthly Report here

  • Display Case - Gamestart declined (too heavy) - to be disassembled and tossed out.
  • Where will a 30 gallon fish tank go?
  • Where will the Sand Blaster go?
  • Small laser cutter relocated not yet hooked up.
  • Exterior door sign now lit w/ LED's - Thanks Donnie J., Nate Y., Alex W. and Tyler S. (still needs buttoning up)
  • Kossel rewired -- No longer eats black filament but needs new stepper motor
  • Tyler Dence is working on setting up 1 Desktop to run 3D printers
  • Lockers contents purged exterior cleaned
  • Street door now fixed. Closes completely

Volunteers - Tyler S.

  • New Volunteers will be scheduled for staff training.
  • Tyler would like to schedule something for all volunteers so that he doesn't have to train them individually.
  • After that training is done, will schedule a FULL VOLUNTEER meeting.
  • Shift Staff - we should ID a few volunteer benefits (ie. 1 FREE water/shift)

Tyler will start a volunteer snack bin! Everyone seems to be OK with volunteers getting a free beverage per shift.

Outreach/Events/Education - (Donnie J.)

  • Class Schedule - TBD (adding Bike Fix Night to New Business)
  • Art Night has a pulse again - Need theme for July Art Party...

ANNUAL EVENTS

  • AAHOM TechTwilite - Done but very rough compared to previous years

Donnie would like to plan this better -- it was too disorganized this year. BYB microscopes was popular.

  • A2 MiniMaker Faire - Done. All Rhino Badges gone, demo'ed 3D printer, showed off scorpions
  • Detroit Maker Faire - July 25-26 9:30am-6pm (deadline 6/1 to submit) - application submitted 6/7/15

Zach S. to do open source furniture?

Jacob M. submitted his race team application on time -- cars are just about raceable. Joined forces with "Team Tebo" (Corey T.'s "team"?)

  • No other events shown on the AHA Google Calendar
  • AHA has been invited to participate on a panel discussion of Maker activities at ConClave a Dearborn SciFi Con - minimum 2 hour time commitment but costs $25 to participate.

(45m) New Business

* IF a new item needs work (the Board decides) a Director must champion it.

Meeting ended abruptly at 9pm when Larry left the space to give some equipment to Patrick H. for his pop-up. Greg G. left while this was happening.

Therefore, ALL items below WERE NOT discussed OR acted upon:


  • FYI - The FULL Board is NOT needed to get some of this done.

* GREEN - Go For It! * RED - Requires Full Board Meeting.* * BLUE - Requires Director of Facilities Approval.*


NEW ITEMS FROM MAY OPEN TIME (initals for who suggested):

  • AM - Individual member space utilization (how much is allowed and for how long?)
  • LW - Spring Cleaning never really finished - Workplace Worksheetwas started (needs Volunteers AND Members to finish)
  • AM - As noted at last months Board meeting by Alec M., there are no formal agreements with BYB or AMF Nano. Open discussion about whether there should be and/or if yes, how often to review.
  • TS - We need more marketing of tools and tech we have at AHA (ie. on front door). A suggestion was made that perhaps a dedicated role for 1 person should be created.
  • AM - Company space utilization. BYB pays for mold-making room, should AMF Nano pay for shelf storage?
  • Many - Should Member computer usage be "kid-friendly"?
  • AM - AHA Wiki now has tags for determining currency of pages. Should we organize a Wiki cleaning party?
  • LW - AHA has the opportunity to run DIY Curriculum created by PyroEDU aka PyroElectro at NO COST to AHA - "It would please us greatly to expand our user base to include students taught by your volunteer instructors.
  • Many - Should we stay OR should we go? Regardless, many members agree the current space has issues. Should we form a committee dedicated to this topic?
  • ZS - Do we want a Bike Fix It Night?

NEW ITEMS FROM JUNE OPEN TIME:

  • DJ - Should front stairs & hallway be redecorated? - Donnie J. to send out email to members for suggestions on what they'd like to see happen.
  • DD - Should we resurrect Google Analytics? - Daniel D. suggested it's a good way to understand online traffic.
  • JH - Should we buy a locking screen door for the alley?
  • GG - Start using .org for everything we do! Website allhandsactive.org currently goes only to wiki. Emails should be from allhandsactive.org, as should signage/cards.
  • GG - Collect 1-page CVs of every board member (send to GG).
  • GG/DD - Move our finances to an online double entry accounting system. Xero or QB Online. Easy transparent access to members, directors and accountants/auditors.
  • GG - We need a strategic plan! AHA Board (or a committee) should revisit our mission, and derive goals that show that we are focused on our mission. New programs will be developed and proposed that will meet and extend these goals.
  • GG - Talk to AAACF about how to build an external board of directors for AHA with expertise in leading 501.3c’s. AHA directors could report to this board.
  • LW - AHA has been invited to participate on a panel discussion of Maker activities at ConClave a Dearborn SciFi Con - minimum 2 hour time commitment but costs $25 to participate.
  • GG - Should we create a marketing position for monthly email blasts, promoting the AHA brand.
  • GG - We should focus differently on how we use volunteers/remove the front desk. .Agreements on removing the front desk -- is a waste of space
  • GG - How we can get volunteers more in-line with our mission statement.
  • JH - We should educate volunteers about the various resources offered by AHA. Also points out that volunteers are there to keep things safe and secure.
  • GG - Does AHA need a 3-strike policy? - .Greg G. to draft a document for discussion.
  • JN - * BLUEPut up new shop lights.