Minutes:12 Apr 2017 Board Meeting Agenda

From All Hands Active Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
AHA Mission Statement
We seek to establish, build, and support a collective of individuals organized around the principles of community-driven education in the arts and sciences, and to ensure ready access to the tools needed to pursue the realization of those principles.

  • Meeting attendees:
  • Meeting starts at:
  • Meeting ends at:

Board Meeting Protocol

* Standing Committee Reports - Individual Updates by Assigned Director/Officer presented in the time allotted.

* Open Time: For anyone to bring anything up to the Board. IF the Board agrees the item requires action, it will be put into New Business and addressed at the end of the meeting.

(15m) Open For All

  • All Are Worthy. All Are Welcome.

Minutes Approval

  • Feb 2016 Board Minutes
  • Mar 2016 Board minutes

Education - Nate Y.

Larry wants to run soldering on a Sunday, but needs the badges. Larry will reach out to Nick and see where we are at with ordering them.

Need to decide how to reimburse teachers and tax considerations for person attending.

Nate said he would get back to Katie from Brain Monkeys with all details of class

Nate put out a call for help at Penguicon - Report back! Gib needed s help/answers on electrical connections and needs to know space and time needed ASAP. The scheduling is this Sunday where we need it before. Sarah was going to email Nate to get an answer about it.


  • Vinyl Cutter
  • Laser Cutter Class
  • CNC Router - 2
  • Egg Bot

Stadium is interested in possibly hosting classes on how to fix your house stuff.

Big Brothers / Big Sisters - Henry pitched two classes and they liked both of them. Ooblek class on subwoofer. Drawdio class (pencil into instrument!). He's going to run both of them this summer.

Larry is collecting mentor information for first robotic clubs in the county. After competitions are done, we'll extend invitations to bring teams in one at a time and show off the space.

(90min) Standing Committee Reports

Finances/Membership - Alex W.

Greg setup a Stadium Hardware Tax free account?

Re-run is setup - Alex is going to ask Lauren what is preferred for membership payments. Could move annual memberships to this. Larry would switch to yearly. $1.50 in fees for ACH!

Membership - - Standard: - Reduced: - Volunteers: - Co-working: 2 - Spark: 5 (2 access cards) - BYB: 10 full

  • Added 4 new members.

Alex was investigating 2 members for PayPal problems.

Alex was going to get back to Donnie about Square Cash. Alex is waiting for response from Donnie.

We made: Expenses: In Bank: Emergency fund (in months):

Wanted to have a meeting to discuss categories for Xero. Greg wants to meet to discuss categories. Wasn't sure where to send re-run information into. Still need to meetup with her. It's on us to ask her.

DTE meter issue - Alex emailed DTE, waiting for response.

Fundraising - Greg G.


Larry suggested we get in touch with Menlo. We can ask and get in their process. What happened with this? Greg no longer have contacts at Menlo. Greg will reach out to Larry to see if we have an "in".


Made google doc and got 9 ideas that we submitted to Google for community grants. Got a response and sounds like they liked at least one of them. Greg submitted formal description entitled "Google High School Neuroscience STEM immersion program" with a budget of $35k. $23k were direct costs to cover stipends for HS students and a teacher to be in AHA. The remaining $12k are "indirect costs" that will go into AHA's coffers to help pay for memberships, tax help, etc. Google meets once a month.

The Deliverables of Grant are:

  • The end results of each projects will be HS lesson plans that will have a STEM impact all across the country.
  • HS Students will deliver a report to Google on their activities over the summer, and will write up their results.
  • HS Students will deliver presentation at their home high school institution about their research.
  • HS Students will deliver a scientific poster session of their work to Google employees at the Google campus where inventions could be brought to demonstrate their projects.


We're billing and they have access.


Partially related to AHA. IRB (Ethics Review Board for working with Humans) was rejected first go, and have a clean bill of health. Waiting and possibly till March 20th. If we get it, $40k in equipment. Update: IRB approved, and the grant has been changed to "pending" meaning there is a high likelihood of being funded! Will email the board as soon as we hear.

Arrow Electronics

Greg has a meeting to setup a non-profit account and get in touch with the right people.

Marketing/Events - Unstaffed

Google Adwords

  • Need to add more keywords/New campaigns we can run.
  • Nate suggests google docs and sent out an email for this during Feb Meeting. What happened to the response?
  • Larry met a google employee that was willing to help get this setup up and running.

Marketing Email Updates

  • Mar 2017
  • No email this month, yet.
    • Currently ? Total Audience on email
    • Nate Y. working with Florencia E. on a monthly newsletter.
    • Greg suggested Maker profiles (Example Mike Grube) for our teachers in the news letter.

Art coworking in Ypsi

We need to establish contact with them. Mark Maynard is contact.

Operations/Volunteers - Tyler W.

Suggested improvements:

  • Ultra Quiet Air compressor
  • Dust Collector
  • Large Whiteboard for classroom wall
  • SSD drives for all PCs
  • Additional networking and electrical supplies to outfit new classroom

Pritpaul requested a document posted at the shop for how to close up. Tyler is working on this and hopes to have it posted during the week of 4/17.

Tracking volunteer hours - Greg suggested a monthly self report. Haven't heard from other board members on how to enforce. Tyler feels this is dead if it has no teeth.

John suggested a rolling tool wall. Going to investigate and figure out where we'd normally store it before committing.

Tyler purchased cabinets for sewing/craft room - Needs to fix a few and paint them before bringing them in. They will need to be mounted. Eta is end of April.

Fire Safety - Breaker box behind laser cutter is continually blocked. We need to maintain access to this.

Need to label breaker closet and what each breaker controls.

Martin is going to bring people down from UMHS for a tour. Date is TBA.

Pick and place is ready to be wired up if people are interested.

Greg offered to populate the Radioshack bins. On election night Tyler plans to hold a sorting party and we'll mark what parts we are missing so that we can purchase spares.


Elections set for 4/20.

4 people nominated and accepted. Website updated with information about each of them.

Board Positions

We need to fill 3 positions - Corey, Greg, and Tyler.


  • Alex White
  • Corey Tebo (I) (resigned 01/11/2017)
  • Greg Gage (I)
  • Nathan Yost
  • Tyler Worman (I)

In progress

  • NAS - Investigated problem with LDAP users not able to change passwords. Contacted Synology support and am working to resolve it with them. No fix yet in last 2 patches.
  • Classroom electric and internet planning.

Done this month


  • Removed extra furniture and some of extra crap.
  • Acquired microwave (Tyler needs to bring it in yet)


  • Purge dead/rusted/old computers we don't plan to use. Thanks Henry for tackling this!

To Do


  • Need to track down the SawZall. It appears to be missing along with the blades for it.
  • Sewing machine - 1 in need of repair or getting tossed
  • Website new - Collecting photos for stream of projects happening at AHA. Source: https://github.com/tsworman/AHA-Website2
  • Internet - ACD can deliver site service. We need to decide on what package and when we want to do it and get back to them.
  • Run backups on all machines to NAS.
  • Eliminate wireless from the current router and switch to logged Ubiquiti with 2 SSID for members and non-members..
  • Add second patch panel to rack, we have more than 24 lines with the new classroom and additional access points.
  • Swap switch for 48 port.
  • Fix cameras - Greg has more, Nate brought in more and one of the older cams is dead. Greg gave Tyler permission to check on it's power connector.


  • Waiting on Zach with kitchen equipment and cabinets.


  • Run ethernet drops
  • Add electric on wall.
  • Clean floor
  • Mount new whiteboard
  • Purchase 2nd pack of whiteboard markers for here
  • Setup mold making equipment??
  • Mount projector.


  • Greg got new logo completed. We agreed on signs about a meter round on each of the spaces (classroom, coworking, maker). We need to get them made on the vinyl cutter and installed.
  • Sandwich board - Henry is taking this on as we hadn't heard back from Adam lately.
  • Downstairs pole signage - Nate wanted to mount a display there, how can we make this happen?

(30m) Unfinished Business

Storage policy

Alex W. - Drafting a Storage / Clean Tabletop Policy -

  • As of Jan - Still working on it.
  • Alex has a draft
  • Alex has printed out parking permits for existing projects
  • Working on Locker policy and amount to charge for long term storage.
  • Alec suggests also having a cheap "storage box" solution, you could rent a cardboard box to put your projects in for a limited time.
  • ETA was August 20th, 2017 -- Should we consider this dead?