Minutes:12 Apr 2017 Board Meeting Agenda

From All Hands Active Wiki
Revision as of 21:17, 15 March 2020 by Daniel (talk | contribs) (Daniel moved page 12 Apr 2017 Board Meeting Agenda to Minutes:12 Apr 2017 Board Meeting Agenda without leaving a redirect)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
AHA Mission Statement
We seek to establish, build, and support a collective of individuals organized around the principles of community-driven education in the arts and sciences, and to ensure ready access to the tools needed to pursue the realization of those principles.

  • Meeting attendees: Kim, Mike Z., Henry B., Brian M., Larry W., Nate Y., Alex W.
  • Meeting starts at: 1925
  • Meeting ends at: 2120

Board Meeting Protocol

* Standing Committee Reports - Individual Updates by Assigned Director/Officer presented in the time allotted.

* Open Time: For anyone to bring anything up to the Board. IF the Board agrees the item requires action, it will be put into New Business and addressed at the end of the meeting.

(15m) Open For All

  • All Are Worthy. All Are Welcome.

Henry has an i5 tower, dockcam, and seven monitors he is leaving at AHA on a long-term loan. Will contact the Board to get the form filled out. These could be used for running classes with software.

Minutes Approval

  • Feb 2016 Board Minutes
  • Mar 2016 Board minutes

Education - Nate Y.

Larry wants to run soldering on a Sunday, but needs the badges. Larry will reach out to Nick and see where we are at with ordering them.

Nate will get in touch with Nick to get the parts.

Need to decide how to reimburse teachers and tax considerations for person attending

Pretty much independent contractor status for teachers, even for core classes. Clarify what happens when we take money online and then pay teachers with that. Larry will get in touch with his CPA friend Ken Shana about this post-tax-season.

Nate said he would get back to Katie from Brain Monkeys with all details of class. Nate did this, Katie seemed interested, but haven't heard back yet. Nate will follow up. Also send Larry details on class rental fees.

Nate put out a call for help at Penguicon - Report back! Gib needed s help/answers on electrical connections and needs to know space and time needed ASAP. The scheduling is this Sunday where we need it before. Sarah was going to email Nate to get an answer about it.


Previous:

  • Vinyl Cutter
  • Laser Cutter Class
  • CNC Router - 2
  • Egg Bot

Stadium is interested in possibly hosting classes on how to fix your house stuff. Nothing new from Larry here -- still working on getting one open membership for employees.

Brian suggested a class about electrical wiring in your home.

Larry brings up the idea to have a basic shop class that could run regularly in the core curriculum.

Big Brothers / Big Sisters - Henry pitched two classes and they liked both of them. Was formerly interested in Ooblek class on subwoofer and a Drawdio class (pencil into instrument!); but now they would like to run a programming workshop. He's going to run both of them this summer (shooting for June?).

Larry is collecting mentor information for first robotic clubs in the county. After competitions are done, we'll extend invitations to bring teams in one at a time and show off the space.

(90min) Standing Committee Reports

Finances/Membership - Alex W.

Greg setup a Stadium Hardware Tax free account? Larry will check.

Re-run is setup - Alex is going to ask Lauren what is preferred for membership payments. Could move annual memberships to this. Larry would switch to yearly. $1.50 in fees for ACH!

Paypal is actually a little cheaper than Rerun now that we have the charity Paypal rate.

Membership - (Alex will fill these in after the meeting) - Standard: - Reduced: - Volunteers: - Co-working: 2 - Spark: 5 (2 access cards) - BYB: 10 full

  • Added 4 new members.

Alex was investigating 2 members for PayPal problems. One signed up again, other is unknown.

Alex was going to get back to Donnie about Square Cash. Alex is waiting for response from Donnie. Still waiting.

We made: Expenses: ~$2000 In Bank: $2833 Emergency fund (in months): ~$833

A couple folks interested in signing up for the co-working space.

Wanted to have a meeting to discuss categories for Xero. Greg wants to meet to discuss categories. Wasn't sure where to send re-run information into. Still need to meetup with her. It's on us to ask her. TBD?

DTE meter issue - Alex emailed DTE, waiting for response. Need to call back with the meter numbers, Alex will do this by next week.

Alex will generate the up-to-date member list for the election.

Fundraising - Greg G.

In Serbia, but able to update the board on the following activities.

Menlo

We submitted a Menlo Community Grant application to Anna Boonstra <aboonstra@menloinnovations.com> on March 10 for consideration in Q2 funding decisions. We received notice on April 11 that we were not selected for funding. When asked, she mentioned we could re-apply for funding in Q3 (email around June 10, 2017). Nate will ping Greg to figure out more details on this.

Google

Samson Peng <samsonp@google.com> from Google sent us a note that we were not funded (yet) but left the door open for the future. The program seems to be in flux at the moment.

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 1:27 PM Samson Peng <samsonp@google.com> wrote: Hi Greg!

Sorry for the radio silence recently -- Because of the new year and recent changes on our end, we haven't been able to determine what types of events/programs we'll be able to support this year fully and haven't responded because we didn't want to move in a direction which might unexpectedly change.

We're trying to clear things up on our end and are discussing options at our next meeting, after which we'll surely give you an update. Since we regretfully aren't able to give firm commitments right now, you may need to remove it from the presentation at the moment.

Thanks for your replies and reminders, they haven't fallen on deaf ears and we'll keep you posted. Appreciating your patience and understanding -- will be in touch in the upcoming weeks.

Warmly, Samson

NIH

The start of the award was set for April 1. As of April 11, the grant is still pending. When I reached out to our program officer last week to see if they needed anything else from us, I was told the grant specialist "is working on the award. That's all I have....." Again... If we get it, $40k in equipment.

Marketing/Events - Unstaffed

Google Adwords

  • Need to add more keywords/New campaigns we can run.
  • Nate suggests google docs and sent out an email for this during Feb Meeting. What happened to the response?
  • Larry met a google employee that was willing to help get this setup up and running.

Marketing Email Updates

  • Mar 2017
  • No email this month, yet.
    • Currently ? Total Audience on email
    • Nate Y. working with Florencia E. on a monthly newsletter.
    • Greg suggested Maker profiles (Example Mike Grube) for our teachers in the news letter.

Art coworking in Ypsi

We need to establish contact with them. Mark Maynard is contact. Larry is the person heading this, will follow up.

Operations/Volunteers - Tyler W.

Suggested improvements:

  • Ultra Quiet Air compressor -- work in progress, might not be the ultra-quiet due to CFM requirements. Larry is looking to build a baffle, Brian would like to help.
  • Dust Collector -- no plans yet, but Nate has plans for a dust separator whenever folks are ready to move forward.
  • Large Whiteboard for classroom wall -- can buy large whiteboard material for pretty cheap from HD.
  • SSD drives for all PCs -- no plans yet, maybe when they go on sale?
  • Additional networking and electrical supplies to outfit new classroom (switches? network drops?)
  • Mounting projector to ceiling.

Pritpaul requested a document posted at the shop for how to close up. Tyler is working on this and hopes to have it posted during the week of 4/17.

Tracking volunteer hours - Greg suggested a monthly self report. Haven't heard from other board members on how to enforce. Tyler feels this is dead if it has no teeth.

John suggested a rolling tool wall. Going to investigate and figure out where we'd normally store it before committing. Larry got a rolling display setup that has pegboard on it, could be used for this?

Tyler purchased cabinets for sewing/craft room - Needs to fix a few and paint them before bringing them in. They will need to be mounted. Eta is end of April.

Fire Safety - Breaker box behind laser cutter is continually blocked. We need to maintain access to this.

Need to label breaker closet and what each breaker controls.

Martin is going to bring people down from UMHS for a tour. Date is TBA.

Pick and place is ready to be wired up if people are interested.

Greg offered to populate the Radioshack bins. On election night Tyler plans to hold a sorting party and we'll mark what parts we are missing so that we can purchase spares.

Elections

Elections set for 4/20.

4 people nominated and accepted. Website updated with information about each of them.

Board Positions

We need to fill 3 positions - Corey, Greg, and Tyler.

Current:

  • Alex White
  • Corey Tebo (I) (resigned 01/11/2017)
  • Greg Gage (I)
  • Nathan Yost
  • Tyler Worman (I)

In progress

  • NAS - Investigated problem with LDAP users not able to change passwords. Contacted Synology support and am working to resolve it with them. No fix yet in last 2 patches.
  • Classroom electric and internet planning.

Done this month

Annex

  • Removed extra furniture and some of extra crap.
  • Acquired microwave (Tyler needs to bring it in yet)

Classroom

  • Purge dead/rusted/old computers we don't plan to use. Thanks Henry for tackling this!

To Do

All

  • Need to track down the SawZall. It appears to be missing along with the blades for it.
  • Sewing machine - 1 in need of repair or getting tossed
  • Website new - Collecting photos for stream of projects happening at AHA. Source: https://github.com/tsworman/AHA-Website2
  • Internet - ACD can deliver site service. We need to decide on what package and when we want to do it and get back to them.
  • Run backups on all machines to NAS.
  • Eliminate wireless from the current router and switch to logged Ubiquiti with 2 SSID for members and non-members..
  • Add second patch panel to rack, we have more than 24 lines with the new classroom and additional access points.
  • Swap switch for 48 port.
  • Fix cameras - Greg has more, Nate brought in more and one of the older cams is dead. Greg gave Tyler permission to check on it's power connector.

Annex

  • Waiting on Zach with kitchen equipment and cabinets.
  • Need to set up a time with Bill to remove his stuff from the Annex. Nate will contact Bill to figure this out. Larry said he will even deliver it to a location.
  • Jacob needs to get the batteries out of the Annex, Henry suggested he get in touch to figure out a time. Thursday night would be best. Nate will get in touch with Jacob.

Classroom

  • Run ethernet drops
  • Add electric on wall.
  • Clean floor
  • Mount new whiteboard
  • Purchase 2nd pack of whiteboard markers for here
  • Setup mold making equipment??
  • Mount projector.

Signage

  • Greg got new logo completed. We agreed on signs about a meter round on each of the spaces (classroom, coworking, maker). We need to get them made on the vinyl cutter and installed. Nate will share it with other members.
  • Sandwich board - Henry is taking this on as we hadn't heard back from Adam lately.
  • Downstairs pole signage - Nate wanted to mount a display there, how can we make this happen?
  • Augustine and friend would like to run a volunteer shift Friday and Saturday evenings. Probably great -- this should be passed on the incoming volunteer coordinating Director.
  • Nate will forward Larry's volunteer list thing to Kim.

(30m) Unfinished Business

Storage policy

Alex W. - Drafting a Storage / Clean Tabletop Policy -

  • As of Jan - Still working on it.
  • Alex has a draft
  • Alex has printed out parking permits for existing projects
  • Working on Locker policy and amount to charge for long term storage.
  • Alec suggests also having a cheap "storage box" solution, you could rent a cardboard box to put your projects in for a limited time.
  • ETA was August 20th, 2017 -- Should we consider this dead?

New Business

YpsiAlloy is another group Larry met some members from, want to start a foundry in Ypsi. He will be in contact?