Minutes:12 Aug 2015 Board Meeting Agenda

From All Hands Active Wiki
Revision as of 21:17, 15 March 2020 by Daniel (talk | contribs) (Daniel moved page 12 Aug 2015 Board Meeting Agenda to Minutes:12 Aug 2015 Board Meeting Agenda without leaving a redirect)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
AHA Mission Statement
We seek to establish, build, and support a collective of individuals organized around the principles of community-driven education in the arts and sciences, and to ensure ready access to the tools needed to pursue the realization of those principles.

  • Meeting attendees: Tyler Soohoo, Donnie J., Nick R., Larry W., Cindy T., Dylan M., Alex W., Alec M., Jordan S., Jacob Rau, Bailey W.
  • Meeting starts at: 19:04
  • Meeting ends at: 21:00


Board Meeting Protocol

* Standing Committee Reports - Individual Updates by Assigned Director/Officer presented in the time allotted.

* Open Time: For anyone to bring anything up to the Board. IF the Board agrees the item requires action, it will be put into New Business and addressed at the end of the meeting.

(15m) Open For All

  • All Are Worthy. All Are Welcome.
  • Demure - All Member Meeting. ACTION ITEM - NEW BUSINESS
  • Nick R. - Effective immediately, I am resigning from the Board following this Board meeting.
  • Larry W. - Explains how Director replacements work. Esty (previous candidate) volunteered to replace Nick as Director of Governance.
  • Cindy T. - Brought up a concern that Greg (as a for-profit CEO) may have difficulty fulfilling the role of Fundraising Director exclusively. At the very least, having an agreement between AHA and any other group (ie. Memorandum of Understanding) may be useful to everyone. Cindy also volunteered to help with grant-writing (past experience).
  • Tyler S. - Might be going to Chicago. If so, he will give notice to ensure a transition to someone else.
  • Donnie J. - has extra shirts so for a suggested donation of $15 or more.

Minutes Approval

  • July 8, 2015 Board Minutes - [1]

Minutes approved.

(90min) Standing Committee Reports

Financial - from Larry W./Deirdre D.

  • Jul 2015 P&L - [2] Temporary Board Report

AHA is now using Xero online software We are building a new accounting system to comply with Non-profit accounting practices (accounts are already linked). Alec M. - at some point can we discuss the POS equipment? - Larry said yes.

Fundraising - Greg G.

  • Monthly Fundraising Report - LINK HERE

No report this month. Financial (aka Larry W.) did not provide accurate figures for large grant submissions. Larry W. - would like to submit for grants and donations in parallel with the big ones (ie. Google Microsoft)

Governance - Nick R.

  • Monthly Maintenance Report - [3] Temporary Board Report

Maintenance was down to fix the leak from a floor drain (ran along our ceiling and came through besides the Taste Kitchen pipes). Maintenance will patch ceiling upon request. Laser origin was causing problems - Big Red's documentation needs updating and printing (lives in Google Docs) Laser Alignment (Daryl Patrick) - if plunger isn't correct it causes issues. Need an SOP to be written (it's in Nick's head)

  • Monthly Membership Update (Larry W.) - [4] Temporary Board Report

AMF Nano cancelled memberships w/o notice due to restructuring. Welcome mat remains. Materials are being removed.

Volunteers - Tyler S.

  • Monthly Volunteer Report - [5] Temporary Board Report

Still need (3) 1st shift volunteers. - Tyler S. and Augustine have picked up the slack. Alec. M. said there was a potential volunteer who will need to be vetted. Larry W. to take Thu 1st shift tomorrow (Cindy T. will take next week).

Education/Classes/Events - Donnie J.

  • Monthly Report - [6] Temporary Board Report
  • Upcoming Special Events - [7] Temporary Board Report

Detroit Maker Faire - Setup was smooth. !st day (Sat.) was very pretty stressful and Donnie and Dierdre were hammered first thing in the morning. Wrecklab - Microwaves went first. Too big. Took away hammers right away!!!! Still need to do a debrief from those who attended. Tyler D.'s Tetris worked great. Jordan's Mario Bro., worked great for 10 minutes. Conclave wants us to have a booth and be on a panel. Huron HS Science Olympiad - still awaiting feedback from the school mentor (Sep-Apr) - membership and fundraising should be considered. Jackson Charter School - wants a tour MakerOS - Alex H.,, Zach W. working with the product. Account Receivables software. Email events/tours/classes requests to OUTREACH@ALLHANDSACTIVE.ORG if you want attention from Donnie (AHA Event form needs to be linked to that). Class Schedule Process needs to be improved. Solder kits need to be restocked. Tyler Denz wants to teach a Intro to Web Design (CSS & HTML) Alec M - would like to do a Unix/Linux Basic Class & Knot work class, Raspberry Pi Cluster Tyler S. - what about a CAD class? Nick R. says it would take a lot of prep.

(30m) Unfinished Business

* Carried over from previous Board Meeting.

  • ACTION ITEM - Greg G. - How we can get volunteers more in-line with our mission statement?
  • ACTION ITEM - Alec M. - Should there be formal agreements between BYB, or any other group and AHA? Open discussion about whether there should be and/or if yes, how often to review.
  • ACTION ITEM - Many - Should we stay OR should we go? - Monthly Member Meetings will begin on Sunday, August 23rd - Tentatively set for 2pm-3pm.
  • ACTION ITEM - Greg G. - Would like to speak to AAACF about how to build an external board of directors for AHA. AHA directors could report to this board.
  • ACTION ITEM - Larry W. to Propose a 2015 Budget for Board Approval (based on 2014) - will present as part of new Accounting Cycle
  • ACTION ITEM - Larry W. to setup online accounting system by September - On track.
  • ACTION ITEM - Greg G. to submit for 1 grant (dependent on receiving required documents) - documentation not received.
  • ACTION ITEM - Nick R. will work with Tyler W., Nate Y., Brandon D., Alec M. for a user-account solution for computer log-ins.
  • ACTION ITEM - Nick R. to prioritize Tools & Parts Spending Request - submitted to Larry W.
  • ACTION ITEM - Tyler S. to recruit and train 3 new volunteers

(30m) New Business

* A Director/Officer or Member must champion action items to ensure the work gets done.

  • ACTION ITEM - From Larry W. - Work out replacing Nick R. w/ Esty for Governance (needs full Board approval) - Larry W.
  • ACTION ITEM - From Alec M. - If/when members are training John N. it is ok for him to be on AHA computers. Board Approved
  • ACTION ITEM - From Alec M. - Election process needs to be documented clearly so members know the consequences of the point system. OR, use an alternative, more direct voting process. - Esty (topic for All-Members Meeting Sun. Aug. 23rd.
  • ACTION ITEM - From Jacob M. - What about a "Bounty Board"? Put up in the space offering prizes for doing various duties in AHA (ie. prizes). Approved by 2 Board members. - Larry W.
  • ACTION ITEM - From Jacob M. - would like to construct 4-6 workstations (ie. small alcove) - Retro Fun! Win95, iMac G3, BOS5, PowerPC Amigo's (on their own LAN) - All Peoples Meeting Topic
  • ACTION ITEM - Larry W. - Washtenaw Area Maker Meeting went very well. Will forward minutes.
  • ACTION ITEM - Jacob M. - should AHA make a proposal to Sylvia's for a non-profit rent write-off for Sylvia's.