Minutes:12 FEB 2014 Board Meeting Agenda

From All Hands Active Wiki
Revision as of 21:19, 15 March 2020 by Daniel (talk | contribs) (Daniel moved page 12 FEB 2014 Board Meeting Agenda to Minutes:12 FEB 2014 Board Meeting Agenda without leaving a redirect)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Meeting attendees: Larry W., Dana N., Tyler W., Nate Y., Martin S.

Meeting starts at: 19:07

Meeting ends at: 21:00

(15 min) Open For All!

- Place for jobs?

(5 min) 501c3!

DONE!

(5 min) Facilities Management Update - Josh

Awaiting response from Dena Isley at MTBU about:

  1. Emergency Exit still needs foundation support (it works much better, but it's cold due to lack of proper foundation)
  2. Bathroom floors need replacing, but can't be done until back area is warmer.
  3. The emergency exit/back alley has a solid layer of ice on the ground. For safety, can a layer of dirt / salt be put down in the alley?
  4. HVAC / Duct work is failing, and leaks around alley have caused damage, and continue to do damage (salt/water leaked onto computer/CNC equipment).
    1. Requested meeting with landlord about patching these up.
  5. The front door sticks open. Brrrr : )
  6. The stench smell still comes in from time to time. Last we heard was that Guardian was going to do a follow up inspection / possibly try and pump smoke through the system again to find leaks, but I have not heard an update on this. Do you know what the status of this is?
  7. Backroom rewiring (should we make a plan for multi-use of power tools & small back room?)
    1. Yes, let's make plans. We have some plans already in place somewhere on the wiki.
  8. BYB Agreement (placeholder until Josh returns) - need something that sets expectations for BYB & Members. With CNC removal all workspaces are in use by BYB.

New carpeting for the win. Need to start vacuuming : )

(5 min) Financial Update - Josh

Monthly Update

Account Balances as of 2/9/2014

  • Paypal: $1460
  • TCF: $1771
  • Cash: $200
  • Undeposited Check: $300
  • Total Cash: $3731

Non-standard Upcoming Expenses

  • $850: IRS Check

Back Membership Dues Owed:

  • ~$300 $50 December
  • ~$300 $50 January
  • (This was previously ~$600, but $500 of it has now been paid, woohoo!)

~50 Active Members

  • ~36 Active Paying Members for a total of $1085 in monthly recurring income
  • 4 members that have annual memberships and are not included in that recurring income #
  • 10 Staff that have membership but are not paying monthly dues
  • January leaves us with plenty of potential to be more awesome : ) We've survived the past three months due to remaining Bright Futures income. We also have some extra money right now due to annual membership payments from Zach & Nate.
  • Come April/May we'll be pretty ugly if we don't increase our monthly income by about $500.
  • The AT&T Line was canceled, Comcast upgraded. Phone line install should be happening this week.
  • If you have questions on any of this, I'll do my best, but I will probably be unable to answer until I get back (02/16/2014)


  • Any news on Quickbooks Improvements?
  • * Spoke briefly with Johnnele last week, she is looking into it.

(15 min) Fundraising! - Dana & Larry

  • Collect Fundraising Surveys (we decide to postpone this a bit, see below)

Board receives Hardcopies of "The Board's Role in Raising Money", and "Fifty-Three Ways for Board Members to Raise $1000" from Larry

Board will be circling three things you find interesting in the hardcopies. Also fill in the fundraising surveys based on the reading.

Nate will create an AHA sub-calendar for fundraising.

We need some basic business cards to give out to folks anytime we talk about AHA.

We identify a list of potential donors on the "Fundraising Status Report - 2/12/14" (gdocs)

(5 min) Governance - Nate Y

  • Collect Conflict of Interest Forms from Board Members
  • Collect Conflict of Interest Forms from Staff (Josh?)
  • Establish Term Transition from 6 months to 1 year staggered

We need to identify at least two (max three) board members who don't want to remain on the board for the whole year so we can start staggering terms in April. Tyler has volunteered to not run in April.

  • Begin process of identifying next term candidates

Start collecting possible candidates at the Membership Meeting (tentatively March 4, with cake).

(10 min) AHA Representing at

We need to have a calendar listing of all upcoming events so that members can help out with some of these events.

Is there anything else coming up that we are presenting at? PenguiCon? NotaCon? Add to list if so!

Dana is resigning the Makerspace stuff with Penguicon, Nate maybe "take over" or something.

2/18 - A2 Newtech

  • When: Tuesday, February 18th 6:30pm -?
  • Where: Law School, South Hall, Room 1225
  • Lead: Josh has point, but is asking if we can get at least one other person from AHA involved
  • Nate can also go, Martin?
  • Contact: Zach Steindler
  • What: Talking about AHA for five minutes in front of engineers, small business owners, entrepreneurs, etc, followed up by 5 minutes of questions.
  • Needs: One or two people to help out w/presentation, possibly w/talk.

3/1 - GameStart School Open House

  • When: March 1st, setup at 9am, event 10am to 2pm
  • Where: Menlo (next door to AHA)
  • Lead: Josh is on the lead with this. Larry/Tyler have offered to help.
  • Contact: Sarah Turner at GameStart
  • What: Bringing an Oculus Rift + computer for people to play MineCraft on. What else? MineCraft Perler Beads?
  • It's RIGHT next door, is going to attract a LOT of kids + parents + tech groups
    • Suggestions? : )
  • Needs: 2 or 3 more people to help carry stuff and staff our table. Make sure we have promotional materials.

3/15 - TedX UM

3/26 - UMSI MakerFest March

  • March 26 tentatively from 12-2 p.m, setup probably ~10am.
  • Where: Michigan Union (Pendleton Room).
  • Lead: Josh/Tyler/Martin/Larry?
  • Contact: Heather Newman
  • What: Arduino Drop in Workshops + 3D Scanning?
  • It's downtown Ann Arbor, reaches lots of UM students interested in making, and the UMSI group has helped us out a ton! They seemed to really like what we did in December (Drop in Arduino Workshop). Adding 3D Scanning would be delicious icing.
    • Suggestions? : )
  • Needs: 2 or 3 more people to help carry stuff and staff our table. Make sure we have promotional materials.

4/4 - FoolMoon - We partner w/AADL (FESTIFOOLS MAYBE but this is not meant to cover that)

  • When: April 4th Dusk to Midnight, setup?
  • Where: ~Main/Ashley/Washington downtown Ann Arbor
  • Lead: Josh & Tyler lead last year, happy to help, but maybe a different lead? Tyler and Dana want to make luminary kits (3-color LEDs, controllable for color?). Head projector platforms with games again? Tyler on point!
  • Contact: Eli Neiburger at AADL
  • What: Just rock the projectors?
  • Needs: We are currently waiting feedback from Eli, but we have agreed to work with them on the FoolMoon portion.

4/10-4/13 - Notacon

  • April 10-13

4/26 - UMSI MakerFest April - We've been invited but haven't said yes yet.

  • April 26 1:00P-4:00P
  • North Quad Space 2435
  • Lead: Josh can unless someone else super wants to : ) Martin take lead?
  • Contact: Stephen Liu
  • Arduino Drop in Workshops + 3D Scanning?
  • It's downtown Ann Arbor, reaches lots of UM students interested in making, and the UMSI group has helped us out a ton! They seemed to really like what we did in December (Drop in Arduino Workshop). Adding 3D Scanning would be delicious icing.
    • Suggestions? : )
  • Needs: 2 or 3 more people to help carry stuff and staff our table. Make sure we have promotional materials.

4/26 - Lehigh Valley Mini Maker Faire

  • Also April 26th! - See tyler for details.

5/2-5/4 - PenguiCon

  • May 2-4

5/10 - A2 Mini Maker Faire

5/16 - Tech Twilight

6/12-6/15 - Steamtopia

  • June 12-15

7/17-7/20 - Detcon1

  • July 17-20

http://detcon1.org/ There will be a Makerspace - 2Dkits will be supplying a custom Blinkie. Would AHA like to teach soldering?

7/26-7/27 - Detroit Maker Faire

  • July 26-27

Previous Action Items!

Completed Items

  • All: Print and Sign 501c3
  • All: Bylaws, Standing Rules, Conflict of Interest read over by 11:59pm on Sunday Jan. 12th
  • All: Bylaws, Standing Rules, Conflict of Interest Have voted on by 11:59pm on Wednesday, the 15th of January
  • All: 12/18/2013 - Will provide options for UMSI Volunteer Day in January
    • Dana: AHA Kids Propaganda, ie: Tri Fold Brochure, Poster (ie: 11x17 in hallway)
  • Dana ?? - Will make sure Calendar, AHA Events Web Page, and Monthly Printed Poster up to date with events
  • Josh 12/20/2013 - Will have two keys and codes ready for MHardware Group
  • Josh: Stench still happens Get log happening with John - When & How Long
  • Larry: Will update standing rules for Friday
  • Larry: Facilitate $ for 501c3
  • Martin ?? - Will communicate with Josh & Dana about events & improving the process
  • Martin ?? - Will pursue options for covering financial work AHA needs doing (Andrew has jumped ship)
  • Tyler ?? - Will meet with Josh on Sunday to start reviewing what 'space management' means
  • Nate: Will implement a policy page for borrowing tools
  • Zach: Is willing to pay to get more trifold brochures made

Open Items

  • All: Put in documents supporting 501c3 (Copies of testimonials, articles, etc.)
  • All: Mail 501c3
  • All: Martin submits updated wiki: If we could comment when that gets sent out
  • Dana 01/01/2014 - Will work with Nate to have a rough draft of a plan of action on how to increase Staff involvement. Nate and Dana will meet at the next GSD.
  • Dana 01/14/2014 - Will work with Nate to have a the plan of action implemented with Staff
  • Dana: Get "Making Stuff" info from Josh and promote on Arbor Web, Parent web sites, etc.
  • Dana: Meet up to rock out Staff Goals w/Josh & Nate (Getting Shit Done Meeting: 4th Wednesday)
  • Larry: Will make sure everything involving memberships is documented and taken care of. Still working on it
  • Larry - Will provide an update on state of membership process. Still working on it.
  • Larry - Will address Landlord should any egregious events arise. Gerald is the new facilities person at UTI.
  • Larry: Forward New.org board info data to the board crew! Done.
  • Martin: Go over with Josh Quickbooks Data entry! Still working on it.
  • Martin: Work with Josh to get flier done one week before end of January. Still working on it (Feb?)
  • Martin: When posting events to mailing list: Good to include times in event listing updates
  • Tyler: Ongoing: make sure everything involving space maintenance is documented and taken care of
  • Nate: D&O Insurance
  • Nate: Get PDF/Electronic version of insurance policy and share with board
  • Nate: Meet up to rock out Staff Goals w/Dana & Josh (Getting Shit Done Meeting: 4th Wednesday)
  • Nate/Josh: Need to email mpowered group to do 3DPrinter training
  • Nate/Dana/Josh: * Larry: Get measurements of the sign upstairs using the power of math + cameras
  • Nate: Ongoing: Will continue to work with Staff to better coordinate their interests & availability
  • Nate: Ongoing: Will make sure everything involving staff is documented and taken care of
  • Josh 12/20/2013 - Will provide an update to the AHA group about state of facility issues (Heat, Carpet, Emergency Exit)
  • Josh: Will make sure that our documents / file storage is consolidated and organized (in progress)
  • Josh: Get Dana Copy/Paste info for NOVA/PBS Event for Arborweb, etc.
  • Josh: Get a good sized mat for front door, talk with Zach (awaiting response from Zach)
  • Josh: Share with Martin the google org document for Doc Organization
  • Josh: Sit down with Martin and Clean Shit Up (old/dead docs)
  • Josh: Meet up to rock out Staff Goals w/Dana & Nate (Getting Shit Done Meeting: 4th Wednesday)
  • Josh: Work with Martin to get flier done one week before end of January
  • Josh: When posting events to mailing list: Good to include times in event listing updates
  • Tyler: When posting events to mailing list: Good to include times in event listing updates
  • Tyler: Communicate with Zach about getting Floor Mat(s) for the upstairs entrance. Emailed, asked Josh about mat size.
  • Tyler: Work with Nate, Josh, and Martin to integrate event automation : )