Minutes:14 Dec 2016 Board Meeting Agenda

From All Hands Active Wiki
Revision as of 21:23, 15 March 2020 by Daniel (talk | contribs) (Daniel moved page 14 Dec 2016 Board Meeting Agenda to Minutes:14 Dec 2016 Board Meeting Agenda without leaving a redirect)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
AHA Mission Statement
We seek to establish, build, and support a collective of individuals organized around the principles of community-driven education in the arts and sciences, and to ensure ready access to the tools needed to pursue the realization of those principles.

  • Meeting attendees: Tyler W., Alex W., Adam F., Demure
  • Meeting starts at: 7:15
  • Meeting ends at: 8:08

Board Meeting Protocol

* Standing Committee Reports - Individual Updates by Assigned Director/Officer presented in the time allotted.

* Open Time: For anyone to bring anything up to the Board. IF the Board agrees the item requires action, it will be put into New Business and addressed at the end of the meeting.

(15m) Open For All

  • All Are Worthy. All Are Welcome.

Adam Funk mentioned that Alex Mills is interested in renting the space across the hall. Making software for CNCs. He's going to try to stop down.

Alex asked about business agreements. All businesses are currently just paying for memberships, no open stuff.

Alex pointed out the fish tank on the floor is a hazard. Tyler said his belief is it will be there short term while the water adjusts.

Fire Safety - Breaker box behind laser cutter is continually blocked. We need to maintain access to this. We moved the mirrors that were in the way during the meeting, still stuff in breaker closet we need to dispose of. Going to contact landlord on disposal of old bulbs. Need to label breaker closet.

Minutes Approval

Not enough directors in attendance

  • Octover 2016 Board Minutes.
  • November 2016 Board Minutes.

(90min) Standing Committee Reports

Education - Nate Y.

Nick - KiCad and OnShape classes, these are shelved for now. Nick can follow up with us about running these in November. Will see if anyone wants to a practice.

3D printer class slides need to be updated. -- Alex W. will work to update slides for the Makerbot. Still waiting on fixes for 3D printers.

Based on October's policy we owe Josh $15 for hosting the October Arduino class. Alex will ask Lauren how to record it.

Michael Grube is planning to host a FreeNet code day at AHA in Jan. Is going to ask for a donation of $10 to the space from each person attending.

Did we get back to Brain Monkeys? If not, let's set a price and give her the class room for a week. It's guaranteed income and we can plan around it then. -- Nate Y. would love to help coordinate! Can someone please forward me the conversation? Don't seem to have it. I will then reach out to Katie T.

Previously:

  • CNC router class - 3 in attendance
  • OpenSCAD class - 1 in attendance

Nate Y is going to schedule an education meeting around mid-January. This will allow us to build out our educational calendar for the (at least) upcoming six months. I will be inviting anyone who could be interested in teaching at AHA.

Upcoming:

  • Inkscape Christmas Ornaments (tomorrow!)
  • Laser class - Saturday Dec 17th
  • Girls in STEM @ Quicken Loans - Jan 5th 9am, Tyler is presenting on makerspaces and how to take an idea to a product. Needs sample projects to show off and talk about.
  • 3D Printing? -- Need date
  • Ann Arbor Academy. We've had a couple folks get in touch with us about running an Arduino class here. Alex will reach out -- Tyler and Nate both agreed to take time off if the group is committed to doing a class. Alex sent an email in October but hasn't heard anything.
  • Advanced Learn-to-Solder (surface-mount) using Penguicon badges. -- Nate will revisit October.
  • Amateur radio General license review class -- Now in January.

Finances/Membership - Alex W.

4853 dollars in the bank. Rent was paid already for this month by check. We owe them for re-keying. We're bringing in enough to cover rent each month. Will it go up in Jan with the new space?

Alex is going to look at API for Xero to import paypal data automatically. Not yet. Working on stripe. Tyler and Alex will try to resolve in January.

DTE meter issue. Alex contacted them via email. Waiting to hear back from them about missing meters! The guy will have to call and disconnect, so that we can transfer the service though.

ATT needs to be transferred still.

Comcast needs to be cancelled still. Nate will do it, Tyler sent relevant info. Any update? If not Tyler has off end of Dec and will do it. -- Nate Y. let this fall through the cracks (sorry!). Just closed out the account. Please let me know if they charge us again, and I will pay the last month's balance. They wanted us to return equipment -- I don't recall what became of it, so they might bill us unless we find it. -- Tyler: Josh has the stuff to return or returned it I believe.

Members - 28 members still.

The electronic membership form, finished! Woot! Google Form. Alex will send link to Tyler and he'll get it on the website. He has copies of physical forms for at the shop to get 2 signatures! Half sheets! Awesome.

Nate will look into getting an AHA referral code for Amazon purchases. Smile works! -- Haven't gotten a code yet, but did do a little reading. This is the program I was referring to: https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/welcome/getstarted

Tax - Alex working with Lauren to resolve fine issue. Need board members to sign a form at the space on the main table. Tyler and Alex have signed already. Hoping to send out this week if possible.

Fundraising - Greg G.

2 fundraising updates:

Spark

We finally received an email from Bill Mayer, Vice President, Entrepreneur Services of Spark on Dec 8 looking to start 5 memberships:

Greg, I would like to establish a membership for SPARK at $250 per month. Hopefully that can allow 5 or six companies to use the facility.

I am not seeing a way to create a membership like this on the website. Could I give you my credit card and have you or someone set it up?

Thank you.

Bill Mayer

This amount is correct for 5 memberships. I had mentioned $500 (wishful thinking on my part) to the board in an email, my apologizes for the mixup. We need to add a way to start recurring payments. Alex suggest stripe. Let's discuss.

Google

I met with Google at their offices on Tuesday 12/6/16 to discuss the non-profit grants. Samson Peng (samsonp@google.com) and Anita Zukow (barci@google.com) were there. They wanted to support projects and not resources. Highly focused on STEM projects. Samson also was a fan of AHA and wants to help. He works part time in the Ad Words, and will stop by next week to help us get things set up. See email from Dec 9:

Hi Greg,

It was a pleasure meeting you earlier this week -- thank you for sharing the neat work you're passionate about! It was definitely highlight of my day.

Hoping your trip to New York went well! As mentioned, would be happy to find time to circle round and see if improvements can be made to those AdWords campaigns. I'll be in ARB until 12/21 -- Perhaps we can arrange something for an evening in the next week or so (any day aside from Fri)

Warmly, Samson

Both said they would help us define the project. We can ask for up to $20k in funding for good projects. But they need to involve kids, STEM, etc. A new budget starts in Jan 2017. So lets get some ideas!

Marketing/Events - Corey T.

Marketing Corey Updates

  • Maker Faire - Corey will come up with ideas for next year and float them to members. ETA is 11/14.
  • Corey wants to run group focused events once a month to get pictures going and create marketing material. Rebuild the community.
  • Get cheap cameras for AHA with Wifi SD cards, use them to automatically upload event images to a repository during.
  • Host a monthly VR night? Corey needs a better 3D card to really make it work better.

Marketing Adam Funk Helps!

  • Will on sandwich boards
  • Will think about how to improve signage around the space.

Marketing Greg Updates

UROP trip on Nov 22nd - 200 students showed up. Forgot to have an email signup form. My bad.

We created a content calendar for December and sent out an email to all 175 Mail Chimp subscribers (28.9% Opened, 2.9% Clicked).

Currently 174 Total Audience on email.

To Do: Make new web theme around this new logo/theme. Interconnect all the events across the web, email, and social media.

Get more names on the email list. We can put a call for sign-ups on Meetup, Facebook, Twitter. Meetup also lets you do direct mailing -- might be too aggressive? Users can adjust their communications preferences.

We need to come up with a reasonable amount to charge per day to use AHA for events we host. We should get data from similar outfits in the area.

Sign-up sheet needs to be passed around at events.


Nate Y. working with Florencia E. on a monthly newsletter. Will be posting sending a note out to those who would wish to sign up via Meetup by this weekend. Already posted it on Facebook places -- will continue to do so every month.

Operations/Volunteers - Tyler W.

Cameras - Are we planning to renew the Nest subscription? Greg said he would cover originally.

Mailbox installed.

UPS mounted in rack for network gear.

Locks re-keyed on all doors. - We were billed by Oxford for this. Greg put it in Xero.

Website old - Started content cleanup. Pointed all emails to board at allhandsactive.org

Website new - Draft is underway, was planning to have new design by end of December. Reworking everything around new color scheme/logo. Hosted on GitHub presently, anyone can clone contribute if they want. https://github.com/tsworman/AHA-Website2

Plans for new electronics bench decided - Will order in January.

Raising money presently to purchase 4 of these in late December and early January. This meets the requirement of nice looking wood tops that Greg asked for. They are movable and can be raised for people that want to work standing. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-62-in-x-24-in-D-Work-Table-Black-HOLT62XDB11/206698778

Used ATT gift card about to expire to purchase replacement Hakko Solder stations that were stolen.

Classroom

  • Want to find sink and cabinets still.

Upcoming improvements

  • Nate will work on securing new space -- From Nate Y.: New card readers arrived, verified working on test platform (my laptop); haven't tested on the RPi, but I suspect it will suffice at least as well as the current reader. Had an error on the last batch of PCBs for the controller board, so we are waiting on a new revision to come from OSH (should be this week or early next).

Signage

  • Greg was going to get in touch with Vanya to fix up door logo, get other signage running. ??
  • After Hours rear stairway sign - Sent to printer for production on corrugated plastic. Need to get mounting hardware.
  • Front of building - Haven't heard back from student. Going to find another designer.
  • Sandwich board - Needs new design, better explanation of space and something that says to use back stairs after hours. Maybe an Open small sign off the top - Adam taking care of it.

Recycling - We've been collecting in separate box and leaving cans in bags for people to collect outside the dumpster (other tenants do that). We should still get a bucket, but haven't had time.

Volunteers:

  • Brian is moving to Thursdays nights this week.
  • We can cover December 17th since we have a class scheduled.
  • Need a volunteer for Saturdays.
  • We will be closed the 24th and 31st.
  • Hours need to get posted to website for holidays.

(30m) Unfinished Business

Stephanie is here to help AHA with marketing, has a Engineering/Business background, working with marketing automation software (Buffer currently, not chained to anything in particular). She believes working with her hands is a valuable experience, enjoys informal/impromptu teaching opportunities; but is also a good planner. She brings a unique perspective given the background. She and Corey will meet afterwards to talk about marketing. -- Corey is waiting to hear back.

Alex W. - Drafting a Storage / Clean Tabletop Policy - Still working on it. Alec suggests also having a cheap "storage box" solution, you could rent a cardboard box to put your projects in for a limited time. ETA is August 20th. -- Alex has a draft storage policy, and printed out "parking permits" for existing projects. Still working on the locker policy, and amount to charge for longer-term storage.