Minutes:19 Jun 2015 Interim - Board Meeting Agenda

From All Hands Active Wiki
Revision as of 21:24, 15 March 2020 by Daniel (talk | contribs) (Daniel moved page 19 Jun 2015 Interim - Board Meeting Agenda to Minutes:19 Jun 2015 Interim - Board Meeting Agenda without leaving a redirect)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
  • Interim Board Meeting Called Due To Past 2 Meetings NOT Addressing New Business (including Member concerns)


  • Meeting attendees: Nick R., Tyler S., Larry W., Donnie J., * Quorum (4/5) was present Absent: Greg G. - Members: Nate Y., Alec M., Jon H., Mike Z., Bill H.
  • Meeting starts at: 7:15pm
  • Meeting ends at: 8:30pm


Interim Board Meeting Protocol

* If anyone has any items NOT on the following list, please hold them until the next official Board Meeting in July.

  • This meeting will exclusively address items from May and June in an attempt to reduce the backlog.


* GREEN - Go For It! * RED - Requires Full Board Meeting.* * BLUE - Approval from the Board.*


NEW ITEMS FROM MAY OPEN TIME (initials for who suggested):

  • AM - Individual member space utilization (how much is allowed and for how long?)
  1. Discussion around what the guidelines are for member's usage of space for projects. Payment provides 1 locker/person. One member pays for two lockers.
  2. There is a need for general shelf & space de-cluttering. Usage of a "parking ticket" system was generally agreed upon as a good way to alert members their projects/belongings could become community property if they remain stagnant.

Full Speed Ahead.


  • LW - Spring Cleaning never really finished - Workplace Worksheetwas started (needs Volunteers AND Members to finish)
  1. DJ - Suggested we hold a garage sale to profit from extra tools/equipment. LW reminded the Board we have an agreement in place with Encore Resale. Who will do all the work of collecting, cataloging and selling stuff and we get money. It doesn't mean we cannot do it, but we don't have the space on site to conduct one.
  2. Spring cleaning continues
  3. NY continuing inventory to meet Westfield Insurance annual policy requirement.

Full Speed Ahead.


  • TS - We need more marketing of tools and tech we have at AHA (ie. on front door). A suggestion was made that perhaps a dedicated role for 1 person should be created.
  1. talked about yet another online customer management tool. LW - suggested a proposal be written for what the duties of a Marketing person would be. Coordinate Event/Classes with the Education Director, conduct Media Blast for special events. Note: Media Blast list exists in Google Drive.
  2. LW volunteered DJ to take a shot at it before next Board meeting.

Full Speed Ahead.


  • AM - AHA Wiki now has tags for determining currency of pages. Should we organize a Wiki cleaning party?
  1. After hours party suggested with those that volunteer to help.
  2. There will be a note to members suggesting date/time (probably by LW)

Full Speed Ahead.


  • LW - AHA has the opportunity to run DIY Curriculum created by PyroEDU aka PyroElectro at NO COST to AHA - "It would please us greatly to expand our user base to include students taught by your volunteer instructors.
  1. LW - Needs a couple of volunteers to test run curriculum at AHA to determine course length and price (cost to include ~10 Components kit.

Full Speed Ahead.


  • ZS - Do we want a Bike Fix It Night?
  1. AHA will schedule a Bike Fix It night in July. We may want to build a bike stand and stock rags/shop cloths.

Full Speed Ahead.


NEW ITEMS FROM JUNE OPEN TIME:

  • DJ - Should front stairs & hallway be redecorated? Donnie J. to send out email to members for suggestions on what they'd like to see happen.

Full Speed Ahead.


  • DD - Should we resurrect Google Analytics? - Daniel D. suggested it's a good way to understand online traffic.
  1. NY - Who even owns this/has access? AHA used to have an account, may need to create a new one. NY to investigate. If costs would be incurred would need to be approved by Financial Director.
  2. LW - Suggested this would be a good way to find out who's looking at our scheduled classes on the website.

Full Speed Ahead.


  • JH - Should we buy a locking screen door for the alley?
  1. need to ensure the way it swings meets Ann Arbor Fire Code.
  2. need to fix the ceiling and have MBTU reinstall fire exit lights ASAP

Full Speed Ahead.


  • GG - Start using .org for everything we do! Website allhandsactive.org currently goes only to wiki.
  1. Emails should be from xxxxxx.ORG, as should signage/cards.
  2. NY to create and communicate emails for Directors.

Full Speed Ahead.


  • GG - Collect 1-page CVs of every board member (send to GG).
  1. Directors to provide to CV's for grant submission.

Full Speed Ahead.


  • GG/DD - Move our finances to an online double entry accounting system. Xero or QB Online. Easy transparent access to members, directors and accountants/auditors.
  1. if we want to download Quickbooks again we must find the phone number used originally to register the purchase in order to recover the QB license.
  2. QB has moved to a cloud model and wants all customers to transition. They are NOT readily helpful but LW will try to secure it again. FYI - It is NOT part of the AHA QB database.
  3. Need to investigate Xero

Full Speed Ahead on investigating accounting software options.


  • GG - We need a strategic plan! AHA Board (or a committee) should revisit our mission, and derive goals that show that we are focused on our mission. New programs will be developed and proposed that will meet and extend these goals.
  1. Member meeting(s) will be scheduled to begin creating a Strategic plan to match the Mission. Board members present agreed this is too important to be created by 1 or 2 individuals and is a required stepping stone for creating goals.

Full Speed Ahead.


  • LW - AHA has been invited to participate on a panel discussion of Maker activities at ConClave a Dearborn SciFi Con - minimum 2 hour time commitment but costs $25 to participate.
  1. LW will send out note to members to see if there's interest. General agreement that the more Maker panels we participate in the better.

Full Speed Ahead.


  • GG - Should we create a marketing position for monthly email blasts, promoting the AHA brand.
  1. See above item assigned to Donnie.

Full Speed Ahead.


  • GG - We should focus differently on how we use volunteers/remove the front desk. .Agreements on removing the front desk -- is a waste of space
  1. Complete agreement to remove desk. Unfortunately fish tank was installed before that message was rcvd by BYB.
  2. Need more discussion on volunteer usage (move this part to July Board).

Full Speed Ahead.


  • GG - How we can get volunteers more in-line with our mission statement.
  1. talked about staff managing certain parts of space per Workspace Worksheet in Google Docs
  2. talked about computer rearrangement, but group believes money is necessary before significant changes are possible.
  3. TS will schedule a staff meeting at LW's Fire-brewing party.

Full Speed Ahead.


  • JH - We should educate volunteers about the various resources offered by AHA. Also points out that volunteers are there to keep things safe and secure.

Full Speed Ahead.


  • JN - * Put up new shop lights.
  1. Only requires approval by Facilities Director (Nick R.)

Full Speed Ahead.


==============

* Requires Full Board Discussion in July

  • AM - As noted at last months Board meeting by Alec M., there are no formal agreements with BYB or AMF Nano. Open discussion about whether there should be and/or if yes, how often to review.
  • Many - Should Member computer usage be "kid-friendly"?
  • Many - Should we stay OR should we go? Regardless, many members agree the current space has issues. Should we form a committee dedicated to this topic?
  • GG - Talk to AAACF about how to build an external board of directors for AHA with expertise in leading 501.3c’s. AHA directors could report to this board.
  • GG - We should focus differently on how we use volunteers.
  1. Need more discussion on volunteer usage (move this part to July Board).
  • GG - Transition of Financial records will not occur until enough knowledge has been found to make a good accounting software decision.
  • GG - Does AHA need a 3-strike policy? Greg G. to draft a document for discussion.


  • After discussion with all present, it was agreed the first order business at the July Board Meeting will be "Should Member computer usage be "kid-friendly"?"
  1. Until this item is resolved, no reports will be taken, no old or new business will be conducted.


  • Meeting adjourned.