Jump to navigation Jump to search
What is WreckLab?
- Wreck Lab is a wonderful way to accomplish a variety of goals:
- Familiarizing people with mechanical tools!
- Familiarizing people with basic electronics!
- Getting to know how things work (What's in the box?)
- Acquiring parts for use in other projects (JunkBots!)
- Introducing the concept of hacking/modifying.
- ie: A broken printer has all sorts of great parts that can be used long after its death.
- You grab some old/used/broken equipment that nobody cares for any more, brings some tools and people together, and take it all apart!)
Places to get equipment
- Recycling Centers
- Computer Shops
- Ask your friends
~30 Minute Items:
- CD / DVD Rom drives
- Game Controllers
- Keyboard / Mice
- Cell Phones
~1 Hour Items
- Desktop / Laptop Computers
- Game Consoles
Fun things to look for
- Motors are great! (DC Motors are easier to utilize on the spot)
- LEDs can often still be lit up
- IR LEDs
Tools you really should bring
- Battery Connectors
- Alligator Clips
- Wire Strippers
- Assortment of Phillips, Straight, and Torx head screwdrivers
- Big and small bins for parts
- First Aid Kit
- Safety Glasses (lots)
- Caution Tape (if Wrecking in a specific area of another event - ie. Maker Faire)
- Signage if Wrecking outside of AHA
Tools that are great to have, but may not be necessary
- Soldering Iron
- Desoldering Pump
- Wire (that will fit breadboard)
Tools you do not want to bring
- Hammer. Especially if you're dealing with a younger group.