This page is intended to collect resources, information, and important context for the COVID-19 outbreak, and what we can do with the hackerspace's resources to combat it.
This is subject to frequent change as the situation, and best recommended practices develops. Currently we aren't open to the public in a meaningful way, and encourage social distancing to slow spread of the virus. This means no classes or public hours, and if you do come to the space, do your best to stay 6+ ft away from others.
Also, make use of our bleach solution bottles to clean high-touch surfaces (tool handles, keyboards, door handles, tabletops). Please also follow all the other advice of not touching your face, diligently washing your hands, and staying home if you feel sick, or know that you are sick.
Here are some current projects we can make using space resources. None of these designs are ours, so just read, don't write.
Maker Works is also doing this work! It would be best to coordinate with their designs and efforts, as they have more volunteer capacity, and direct connections with various hospitals to get the gear where it's needed.
|Preferred Design||Item||Tools||Materials||Machine Time||Labor Time||Needed/Accepted By|
|Face Shield V3||Laser Cutter||
||~10 m||? (low)||? (TBD)|
|Hole Punch Face Shield||Laser Cutter||
||~6 minutes||? (low)||The Operation Face Shield Ann Arbor Facebook group is currently coordinating production & need of face shields locally|
|Preferred||ABS Strip Face Shield||Laser Cutter, Heat Gun, Boiling Water, Forms, Acetone, Acid Brush||
||~45 seconds||? (medium length)||Maker Works is accepting these in coordination with UM and other local hospitals. They have volunteer staff to accept unfinished bands from us, and to clean them in an ozone closet provided by the UM COVID-19 response team.|
Cloth Face Masks
https://covidmaskcrafters.org/ has some sewing patterns for making face masks that may prolong the life of a medical-grade N95 mask; or for last-ditch use when the N95s run out. Also has a resource to connect mask makers with health care institutions.
This Google Drive has files for different face shields in it. A face shield is Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to provide a barrier against droplets from sick patients which may potentially carry the virus.
This "Hole Punch" face shield is similar to the Face Shield V3 from the above resource, but is designed for visors with the standard 3-hole punch hole pattern, which makes visor manufacture dead simple.
This 3D-printable facial shield frame looks to be a relatively mature design, with good documentation. It would be even better if we could make a lasercut-only version.
Maker Works folks have been hard at work on this too, and have a 2-strip face shield design that can be much more quickly made on a laser cutter, though it requires some assembly after the fact involving acetone, boiling water, forms, and a heat gun.
Users must be able to disinfect these face shields without damaging them. Thankfully, this Disinfection Compatibility Spreadsheet indicates that PET can be disinfected in many ways without suffering damage.
Rotary Valve Pressure Control Ventilator
This document describes a proposed Rotary Valve Pressure Control Ventilator, designed to be laser-cut for quick manufacture. 3D files are here, and will be updated as the design is iterated and refined.
Local Mutual Aid Groups
These are social projects, rather than technical projects: ways we can directly help each other through mutual aid. These are great ways of being in touch with what people need, so that our resources can actually meet people's needs vs what we think is needed.
- COVID-19 Face Shields - Background Research and References - Important info on how face shields are used, and what the designs and materials have to live up to. This is crucial so that face shields are effective, and don't do more harm than good.
- Short List of Helpful Engineering Project Proposals - lots of links to different project proposals
- U of M Hospital Call for Donations - new and unopened masks and such things, and explicitly NOT hand-sewn masks or 3D printer ventilator parts. If that changes, there will be another announcement.
- Disinfectants for SARS-CoV-2 - list of disinfectants which can be used for disinfecting.
- Helpful Engineering - HelpfulEngineers is an open source group of 3,000+ members looking for solutions to COVID19 Twitter
- Operation Face Shield - Facebook group for local face shield 3D printing efforts. They seem to have centered on the PRUSA design, with their own modifications (shorter, no PRUSA branding).